[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: new EasyDialogs

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 10:24:28 -0800

At 9:52 AM -0800 03-02-99, Steven D. Majewski wrote:

>I'ld like to avoid complicating the MacPython programming process
>with a lot of Gestalt calls and the like.
>
>Perhaps we should make a break: leave the current toolbox shared
>libs as legacy support -- if you need you can still write Mac Python
>code for the widest Mac OS legacy systems, but start on a set of
>Win2, Dlg2, etc. interfaces, also targeting Carbon compatability.

This sounds like a good solution to me.  Widget toolsets (basically, Just's
W classes) will probably gradually add backwards-compatible support (i.e.,
use Win2 if available, else use Win), but putting such compatibility cruft
into the Python core libraries sounds like too much work.

My $0.02,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |