[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: new EasyDialogs

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:22:25 +0100

Recently, "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@virginia.edu> said:
> I'ld like to avoid complicating the MacPython programming process
> with a lot of Gestalt calls and the like.
>
> Perhaps we should make a break: leave the current toolbox shared
> libs as legacy support -- if you need you can still write Mac Python
> code for the widest Mac OS legacy systems, but start on a set of
> Win2, Dlg2, etc. interfaces, also targeting Carbon compatability.
>
> I think it likely that the Mac Python programmer would choose to
> either program for the new interfaces or the old, but if you wanted
> to handle both optionally, you could "try: import Win2;
> except: import Win"  .

The toolbox modules aren't so much a problem: since I use bgen for
creating the modules from the C header files they are already slowly
but surely going towards the Appearance Manager calls.

The problem I was thinking of is actually _using_ the new calls in
modules like FrameWork or programs like EditPythonPrefs. Once we start
doing this Python becomes quite a bit less functional on
non-appearance machines.

Does anyone happen to know whether the appearance manager is available
for older machines and, if it is, whether it is freely distributable?
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm