[Pythonmac-SIG] Any volunteers to maintain a MacPython packages page?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:40:37 +0100

At 11:04 PM +0100 3/13/99, Jack Jansen wrote:
>I think the community would be helped if there was a webpage (on
>starship, for instance, but anywhere is fine really) where MacPython
>users could go for one-stop shopping for Mac versions of Python
>extensions. Rob just announced SWIG, there's my Mac version of
>pyexpat, and various other things. I'd do it myself, but I really
>don't have the time right now....

What would be really helpful if we had some sort of standard extension
install mechanism, which moves the stuff to a standard place (the
Extensions folder probably) and automatically modify the system-wide
sys.path prefs accordingly.

I have a starship account, so I would be able to make a page, as long as we
can collectively create a smoother packaging and install procedure, to make
the contribution process as painless as possible.

[I have written a module which is basically a stuffit/tar-gzip-like thingy
(but fully incompatible with both of course ;-). I can imagine building
Self Extracting Archives with this, by creating an applet which contains
the compressed archive in a resource or in the data fork after the code
fragments. Since Python should be installed when installing extensions this
could work. Here's my filepacker module, in case anyone is interested:
http://starship.python.net/crew/just/code/FilePacker.py
It has not been extensively tested, but it appears to be stable. It fully
supports Mac files of course.]

Just