[Pythonmac-SIG] Lurker Questions

Richard Gordon gordon@mindspring.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:50:00 -0500

I've been lurking this list for a couple of months and have finally decided to
get serious about Python, so I hope that you can answer a few questions that I
have yet to resolve on my own:

1. Does anyone know of a free (or very cheap) web hosting service that permits
you to run Python cgi's? What I am looking for is something like
www.hypermart.net which is very cool but they only permit Perl cgis.

2. I am still trying to find a Mac editor that supports Python with syntax
coloring, etc. I was under the impression that Alpha would do this, but the
current version doesn't include a Python mode and its status is rather unclear.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

3. Along somewhat related lines, is there a Python tool that would work with
MPW/ToolServer in the same way that the MacPerl Tool does?

4. I think that I already know the answer, but is there a utility that will
convert Perl to Python sort of like a2p will convert awk to Perl? I've got some
fairly large Perl stuff that I would like to convert, but don't have much
stomach for doing the whole thing manually.

Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
maccgi@bellsouth.net