[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie stuff

Peter Sommerfeld peter.sommerfeld@gmx.de
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:06:00 +0200

Lukas wrote:
>thanks for the info, Peter, i carried on regardless of the abovementioned
>problems and downloaded and installed the new tcl-tk stuff; put an alias to
>tk's shdlb into python's plugins folder and whoopie, the tkinter examples in
>the matt folder in the demo folder all worked except for
>window-creation-with-location.py (from TkinterUtils  import * ImportError: No
>module named TkinterUtils). not bad.

I'm glad you got it to run. There seem to be some major problems with
TK 8.1. May be 8.0 is worth a try. But I have no newer experiance with
TK at all. I just jumped in because the gurus here seem to be rather
busy.

>well if newbie questions are ok here (?), here are some more:

Well, Jack agreed on this question some month ago.

>so are there any really serious problems with tkinter that suggest it really
>shouldn´t be used?

Cannot say so much about that. When I checked it out (8.0) the look and
feel was not so much Mac-like. And you always have to install TCL/TK,
at least 3mb even for the most simple application if memory serves well.
But if portability is an issue ...

>i wasn´t aware that the IDE is supposed to *replace* tkinter (?), altho i saw
>it has some windowing stuff. is it meant to replace tkinter on the mac
>altogether?

Sorry, that is a missunderstanding. What I ment was: don't play with with
IDLE (presently, because it needs a running TK) and use JvR's IDE, an
Integrated-Development-Enviroment. It's not ment to be a graphic lib.
You have presently 2 options (I'm aware off): Mac Toolbox or TK. Make
your choice. I would like to see wxWindows on Mac but that will last ...

>another dumb question: i am kind of wary of having hulking folders in my
>extension folder. is it ok to move the tk shdlib into pythons plug-ins folder
>and just trash the tcl folder? (tcl fans, no offense..)
>lukas

Dunno, but I don't think so.

regards

-- Peter