[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie stuff

tomtom llatz@stuttgart.netsurf.de
Tue, 04 May 1999 13:17:25 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> > [...] When I checked it out (8.0) the look and
> > feel was not so much Mac-like. And you always have to install TCL/TK,
> > at least 3mb even for the most simple application if memory serves well.
>
> I've seen remarks like this a few times the last few weeks, and I'm a bit
> surprised, as the _tkinter module for the mac (the Tkinter "engine") was
> designed _not_ to need an installed Tk to work, by incorporating everything
> into the resource fork.
>
> Is it indeed true that you can't use Tkinter applications with Python without
> first installing Tk? If so I'd like to hear what the errors are if you do
> attempt it so I can try to fix it (time permitting).
> --

sorry i may have caused unnecessary turmoil here.
when i tried to run idle it didnīt and gave me some errors. havenīt documented
it but i *think* there was some import error concerning tk_inter. so i
downloaded tcl-tk and tried some *other* stuff that uses tk and it worked so i
thought that mustve been it. just now i rechecked idle and it still dont run,
python tells me this:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:idle", line 3, in ?
    PyShell.main()
  File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:PyShell.py", line 604, in main
    fixwordbreaks(root)
  File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:EditorWindow.py", line 498, in fixwordbreaks
    tk.call('tcl_wordBreakAfter', 'a b', 0) # make sure word.tcl is loaded
TclError: invalid command name "tcl_wordBreakAfter"

iīm not really certain now if the errors were any different before. sorry i
havent checked the other tk_inter demos before installing tcl-tk, so maybe
they would have run after all..
when i get back from work, iīll try it without the tcl folder in my extensions..
cheers,
lukas