[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie stuff

tomtom llatz@stuttgart.netsurf.de
Wed, 05 May 1999 13:27:18 +0200

> > Is it indeed true that you can't use Tkinter applications with Python without
> > first installing Tk? If so I'd like to hear what the errors are if you do
> > attempt it so I can try to fix it (time permitting).
> > --
>
> sorry i may have caused unnecessary turmoil here.
> when i tried to run idle it didnīt and gave me some errors. havenīt documented
> it but i *think* there was some import error concerning tk_inter. so i
> downloaded tcl-tk and tried some *other* stuff that uses tk and it worked so i
> thought that mustve been it. just now i rechecked idle and it still dont run,
> python tells me this:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:idle", line 3, in ?
>     PyShell.main()
>   File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:PyShell.py", line 604, in main
>     fixwordbreaks(root)
>   File "8.5:Python 1.5.2b1:Tools:idle:EditorWindow.py", line 498, in fixwordbreaks
>     tk.call('tcl_wordBreakAfter', 'a b', 0) # make sure word.tcl is loaded
> TclError: invalid command name "tcl_wordBreakAfter"
>
> iīm not really certain now if the errors were any different before. sorry i
> havent checked the other tk_inter demos before installing tcl-tk, so maybe
> they would have run after all..
> when i get back from work, iīll try it without the tcl folder in my extensions..

i just checked:
the tk_inter examples work well without tcl-tk installed. the IDLE doesnīt,
errors are same as above. also what it does it gives me doubled items in the
menu bar. apple..file..edit
also i canīt get grail to work, but that may be because i havenīt got the
setup right yet..thereīs like an infinite amount of stuff i donīt know about
python, so i better shut up now.
cheers,
lukas