[Pythonmac-SIG] gdk+ on a mac with python?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 6 May 1999 14:03:22 -0700

At 1:16 PM -0700 05/06/99, Euphoriadj wrote:

>I am very new to python and rather new to gdk but I used to code tk all the
>time and I never cared much for it and I would rather use gdk. So is there
>a way to import gdk on the mac if not what other
>methods are there for gui's on the mac in python and any pointers on how to
>use them would be nice also.

Well, of course the best GUI on the Mac is MacOS itself.  You can use
direct QuickDraw calls in Python (especially Python IDE) windows.

If that's a bit complicated for your needs, you could try PIDDLE.  This is
a cross-platform and cross-media drawing library.  Unfortunately, the Mac
version requires a few goodies which are only available in the next release
of MacPython, not the current one.  I suggest you post messages asking "Hey
Jack and Just, when is that next release of MacPython coming out?" daily
until it arrives.  I'd do it, but for some reason they've stopped answering
my messages.  ;)

For more info on PIDDLE -- which is still under development, but should be
ready for use in the next few weeks -- go ye to:

	   http://www.strout.net/python/piddle/

Cheers,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |