[Pythonmac-SIG] Multithreaded MacPython

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 14:14:32 +0100

Folks,
there is more and more interest in a multithreaded MacPython. As CWGUSI 2.0,
which has pthreads support, has now gone final and the MW C library has been
thread-safe for a few years already I think that now all the infrastructure
needed for a multithreaded MacPython is available.

One issue remains: programmer time. I'd really like to look into this, but it
will be a while before I have the time. So, if someone is willing to take this
up: please speak up. What you'd need is the latest CW compiler, a MacPython
source distribution (preferrably through CVS, but this isn't really necessary)
and a CWGUSI 2 distribution. What you'd need to do is (a) figure out what
needs to be done to Python and/or CWGUSI 2 to make them work together (CWGUSI
1.5 needed some mods to make various Python things work better, but these
aren't really essential) and (b) figure out how to enable multiple threads and
do the switching, especially in the light of the Python main event loop.

Note that even only (a) was done it would already make my life a lot simpler.