[Pythonmac-SIG] isShared bit on Python IDE?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:35:30 -0800

We've run into a bit of a problem because the Python IDE refuses to
allow more than one copy of itself to be run from a server.  This is
because its "isShared" Finder flag is not set.

Is there a reason this flag isn't set?  TN 1126 (Checklist for
Building Apps) sez:  "You need to set the isShared bit in the Finder
flags to allow your application to be launched multiple times across
a network... If you set the isShared bit, check that your application
does not try to write to its own resource or data fork. In addition,
check that your application does not try to write to any locations
other than its preference file in the Preferences folder in the
System Folder, which can be found and created using FindFolder."

I doubt the IDE writes to itself, but it does write to other folders
(i.e., when compiling various Python source files).  But we have
another app (Mac Common Lisp) which does the same thing, with its
Shared bit set, and it's never been a problem.  (Probably only a
problem if two people try to compile the same file at exactly the
same time.)

So: any reason I can't safely set the "shared" bit on Python IDE?

Thanks,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |