[Pythonmac-SIG] documentation

Bill Bedford billpy@mousa.demon.co.uk
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:34:52 +0000

At 11:55 pm +0100 10/11/99, Jack Jansen wrote:

>Folks,
>as you are all undoubtedly aware the MacPython documentation is in a
>very sorry state.

>The documentation is currently in rather an esoteric TeX format,
>incorporated into the main Python documentation, and in the HTML files
>in the Mac:Demo folder. While the TeX format has the advantage that
>Guido and his CNRI buddies have lots of tools to convert that to PDF
>and HTML and such I'd be willing to drop that, if the choice is
>between having (a) very outdated documentation and (b) having
>up-to-date documentation that may be a little less
>platform-independent.

The esotericness of the documentation doesn't stop there. I though it
would be neat to put the main doc tree into the Apple help viewer so
that it would be always available from the help menu and search able.
But there is so much IE specific code in the doc's html that it
proved to be impossible.
--
Bill Bedford                            mailto://billb@mousa.demon.co.uk

"I'm a cat person, myself," she said, vaguely.  A low-level voice said:
"Yeah?  Yeah?  Wash in your own spit, do you?"