[Pythonmac-SIG] calldll: float values?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:33:54 -0800

I'm trying to use calldll to make an interface to the QD3D library.
(Actually, my evil plan is to get it started and then turn it over to
Scott Harris.)  I've run into a hitch: calldll doesn't seem to
understand floats, and QD3D uses floats all over the place -- both as
parameters, and as return values.

Is there some way I can hack around this limitation?  E.g., if I tell
calldll that the return type is in fact "long", that should be the
same size as a "float" (at the moment anyway), so it shouldn't crash.
But then I'll have a long instead of a float.  Perhaps I can pack
this into a string, and then unpack it to a float... but this seems
hideous, and I'm not at all positive some important bits won't get
dropped in the process.  Is there any other way?

Thanks,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |