[Pythonmac-SIG] CommandHistoryPatch

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:22:40 +0200

> > Why not bind "previous command" to the "up arrow"?
> > That's how it is at the Unix command line, and it's very handy, and
> > easy. I can't imagine what else you would want the up arrow for.
>
> Hmmm...well at the moment I tend to use the up arrow to move the cursor
> around (I know, "Get a mouse!"), but perhaps I wouldn't be as inclined to do
> that if I had a command history, since that is a big part of why I do it in
> the first place. Would it really be so bad to make it ctrl-up/ctrl-down?

I think in this case we can have our cake and eat it. Mark Hammond's PythonWin
does more-or-less what you say here: with the arrow keys you can walk to a
certain line. If you are on any line and you start typing[*] the line is
copied to the bottom line of the screen (minus any prompts prefixing it),
along with your cursor and your edits are being done. And, of course, if you
want to use the mouse in stead of the cursor keys to position the cursor that
also works.

[*] I think that you have to hit an extra return in PythonWin to do the
copying, but I don't see a good reason for copying that behaviour.