[Pythonmac-SIG] C module creation on MacPython

Corran Webster cwebster@nevada.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

> Wow, I'm really impressed that building extensions with MrC seems to work so
> well!
>
> What I would really like is to extend the plugins.html document to include
> instructions for building plugins using MrC, and having a Makefile for
> xxmodule.

Since there seems to be interest in this, I've written a HOWTO.  It's
currently available at:

http://www.nevada.edu/~cwebster/Python/MPWHOWTO/MPWHOWTO.html

with associated files (including a makefile for xxmodule) in the same
directory. You can download the whole lot as:

http://www.nevada.edu/~cwebster/Python/MPWHOWTO/MPWHOWTO.sit.hqx

I invite comments and corrections; this is a first draft.  In particular,
I'm going to need to investigate further how GUSI connects in (I have not
been using it, but it has the potential to make porting from Unix
significantly easier if it can be linked in correctly).

I'm also likely to fiddle with the xxmodule make file - currently it's
just what CreateMake spits out, modified as described in the HOWTO; but it
would make more sense to re-write it by hand to illustrate how one might
write one from scratch.

If this, or a modified version, is appropriate to add to the documentation
for MacPython, I'd have no problem with that (in fact it'd be sorta cool
to contibute).

Regards,
Corran