[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Miscellaneous MacPython Questions

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:14:52 +0200

> >3. What exactly is the difference between MacFreeze and the
> >BuildApplication droplet?
>
> Isn't BuildApplication just the application form of MacFreeze?
> Like if you run macfreeze.py on itself?  Anyway, one difference
> is that you can just drop a script on the BuildApplication icon
> but not on macfreeze.py.

That's basically the answer, indeed. macfreeze can do one extra thing and that
is create some of the files you need to build a fully tailored statically
loaded standalone application if you have CodeWarrior and python source. This
shaves a few more seconds off the startup time of the application, but the
process is rather convoluted so I never bothered to document it (and, hence,
I'm the only one using it:-).

> By the way, when I run either of these on some of my scripts, I
> get a ValueError: (-120, 'Directory not found') error.  Probably
> I forgot to add to the search paths.  But what I find curious is
> that the Traceback begins as follows:
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "flap:jack:Python:Mac:scripts:BuildApplication.py", line 145, in ?
>   File "flap:jack:Python:Mac:scripts:BuildApplication.py", line 49, in
> main
>   File "flap:jack:Python:Mac:scripts:BuildApplication.py", line 86, in
> buildapplication
> and these definitely are no pathnames of any files on my computer.
> Is this anything to worry about?  Jack?

No, not to worry, these are pathnames on _my_ computer. Which is only logical,
as the BuildApplication applet was created on my computer, and at that time
the source file pathnames were as you see them here.

I can't tell you what the error was, though, as you've omitted the rest of the
traceback (the filesnames of which should refer to your disk, so you should be
able to interpret them yourself).