[Pythonmac-SIG] file times and time functions...

Kei Ishii kish@cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:14:56 +0200

Hello all,

I apologize in advance for this total novice question, just cannot
figure out what I am doing wrong...

Anyway, MacPython 1.5.2c1 (the latest I figure).

The problem:

A given file (${PYTHON}/BuildApplet) has following modification time
(German style: 'dd.mm.yyyy, hh:mm:ss'):
	last modified: 12.4.1999, 14:31:43

os.stat, os.path.getmtime, os.xstat and their mac counterparts all
say:

	>>>print time.ctime(filemtime)
	Thu Apr 13 14:31:43 1995

The difference of course is that of epoch 1.1.1900 vs. 1.1.1904.

>>>time.ctime(0)
'Mon Jan  1 00:00:00 1900'
>>> time.ctime(126144000.0)
'Fri Jan  1 00:00:00 1904'

I grabbed through the Python and C sources, to no avail.

BTW, trying to find out the epoch (according to the Python Library
Reference, gmtime(0)), another funny thing (esp. third command!):

>>> time.asctime(time.gmtime(0))
'Thu Feb  7 04:28:16 2036'
>>> time.asctime(time.gmtime(7200))
'Mon Jan  1 00:00:00 1900'
>>> time.asctime(time.gmtime(7199))
'xxx xxx xx xx:xx:xx xxxx'
>>> time.asctime(time.gmtime(7198))
'Thu Feb  7 06:28:14 2036'

So, what am I doing wrong???

Thanks, Kei.

--
Kei Ishii    ÀÐ°æ ·É                                      kish@cs.tu-berlin.de
TU Berlin,  FB Informatik,  Sekr. FR5-10,   Franklinstr. 28/29,   10587 Berlin