[Pythonmac-SIG] FYI: Darwin 1.0 released (fwd)

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:15:39 -0400 (EDT)

FYI:
Darwin 1.0 has been released, including a binary distribution.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:30:14 -0700
From: Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
To: darwin-announce@public.lists.apple.com,
    publicsource-announce@public.lists.apple.com,
    darwin-development@public.lists.apple.com
Subject: Darwin 1.0

(I'm sending this for Ernie, since he's at Internet World. -Fred)

My Fellow Darwinians,

It is barely a year since Darwin took its first baby steps out into
the world, at the launch of Mac OS X Server. Today, on April 5th at
Spring Internet World in Los Angeles, we are pleased to announce
Darwin 1.0, the mainstream release for which you have all been
waiting. We have synchronized Darwin with the latest Mac OS X
sources, and have opened our Core OS development process so that it
will stay that way. You should now feel free to write enhancements,
fix bugs, and expand driver support -- and know that you're work will
be compatible with future versions Mac OS X! This release even
includes rudimentary Intel support, for those of you who'd like to
make Darwin a full cross-platform OS.

We also welcome David Zarzycki as the first full time Darwin
Engineer. Of course the entire Core OS department at Apple writes
Darwin code, but David will bring some much needed focus to the Open
Source releases. We are thrilled that he has accepted this critical
role, and I am sure you will all learn to appreciate him as much as
I do.

The web site has been completely redesigned, and is chock full of
details about Darwin 1.0, including links to the press release and
our new community site at www.DarwinOS.org (sponsored by Stepwise).

As you know, Mac OS X will be released this summer, and distributed
with all Apple hardware starting next year (making us one of the
leading distributors of open source software!). Darwin is a
critical piece of that, and I look forward to working with all of you
to making it all it can be.

Sincerely,
Ernest Prabhakar
Darwin Product Manager
Apple Computer, Inc.

P.S. A lot of people helped make this possible, but I want to offer
my personal thanks to Simon Woodside, Darwin dual
Marketing/Engineering Intern who finishes up next week. Without him,
I doubt this release would have happened.

--
Wilfredo Snchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System / BSD