[Pythonmac-SIG] Crash in MacPython 1.5.2c2 and Tk oddities

Bob Savage savageb@pacbell.net
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:57:46 -0700

on 4/18/00 10:51 AM, Russell E Owen wrote:

> The following code (simplified from Grayson's "Python and Tkinter")
> reliably causes a crash into MacsBug on my 7200 running MacOS 8.6. I
> put it in a file and run it by dropping it on PythonInterpter.
>
> Anybody else see this?

Hmmm... I tried your code and it worked fine for me.

> Also, as you probably know, Tk fails to exit properly in
> PythonInterpter when the quit command is issued or a window is
> closed.
  <snip>
> I find I have to do a forced exit.

Do you mean Interpreter here, or IDE? I do have that problem with the IDE,
but for Interpreter see below.

> The workaround for me is to always use cmd-Q or File:Quit to halt the
> Tk application, then wait until the interpreter output says the
> process has been killed (the Tk windows stay open, but are no longer
> active), then issue cmd-Q or File:Quit again to exit the interpreter.

That is pretty much what I do. First I do a quit and then I do a ctrl-D. I
suspect it may be related to the Python Prefs being set to stay open on
exit. (I don't usually use TK, and it doesn't bother me that much so I never
experimented with it).

Bob