[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython, CGI and free cd's

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:05:12 +0200

> - With PythonCGISlave, scripts are already largely compatible with unix: I
> think I've done a fair job ov converting most AE arguments to their
> os.environ counterparts. (As an example, using the cgi.py module as a test
> script works out of the box.)

But you don't do stdout-to-appleevent reply mapping yet, or do you?

> - I think to use a script server (as in PythonCGISlave) that executes any
> *.py file is superior to having to copy/rename a "wrapper" applet. The only
> disadvantages I can think of are a) that it's harder to configure your
> webserver to act that way, b) it might not work with *all* webservers. Good
> documentation might help here...

At the moment I'm not really interested in what is superior, I want something
that works, and that can be explained in 3 sentences (at least to someone
familiar with CGI in general). Once people start using this stuff they'll find
out for themselves (I hope) that there's all sorts of things they can do to
make it perform better. And a script server may be a good idea if your machine
is a dedicated webserver, but if you're using your mac to debug cgi-scripts
for unix you really want it to restart the scripts each time, and you don't
really care about performance.

And I think that things like good error messages, decent testing facilities
and reasonable documentation (at least the getting started stuff) is really
important too. These are the type of things that help you along the first bits
of your learning curve, and they should be geared towards helping new users
(new either to Python, Macintosh and/or CGI).