[Pythonmac-SIG] socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:17:55 +0200

Recently, tmk <tmk@easynet.be> said:
> > The solution is to add the PTR (and A, of course) record for your own machi
> ne
> > to your hosts file.
>

> I didn't know that the subset of features the  Hosts file supports did
> include PTR record... I've dl'ed the OT FAQ version 2.3 and it seems to
> mention that the only record classes supported are A, CNAME and NS :-(. I'll
> test to see if PTR are nevertheless supported.

Hmm, you could be right there:-(

> I've tested this and with and most  smtp server will accept happilly accept
> anything (e.g 'fubar'...)

.. but with a smtp server run by a spam-conscious system manager you
have a good chance that your mail is flagged as spam. Postfix, which
is getting more and more popular, is one smtp server that makes this
almost trivial to enable, and it saves _lots_ of spam (or at least
flags it to the end-recipient).