[Pythonmac-SIG] socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:24:53 -0700

At 23:13 +0200 8/16/2000, tmk wrote:
>> From: Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl>
>

>> And, on smtplib: again by the standard it should pass the official name
>>(fqdn)
>> in the HELO command. It might be allowable, though, to pass [xx.xx.xx.xx] or
>> so (rfc821 is a long time ago, I don't remember).
>
>I've tested this and with and most  smtp server will accept happilly accept
>anything (e.g 'fubar'...)

"happily" may be too strong...grudgingly is a better description of what
Exim--for one--does, since it logs a complaint for any form other than fqdn
(matching the observed IP as often configured).

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA