[Pythonmac-SIG] Doctor, Doctor, It hurts when I do this

Magladry, Stephen stephenm@humongous.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:59:00 -0700

I just started using Python a few days ago and came across something you
don't want to do. I was building an extension. Being it was my first, I
started out with the starter project posted in April by Louis Pecora (BTW,
thanks).

For one reason or other, it wasn't working. I can't remember quite what was
wrong, but something was. So, I started fiddling with stuff to see if I
could get things to work. One thing I did was to merge the PythonCorePPC lib
with my extension. This leads to the title of the e-mail and the answer is,
"DON"T DO THAT!"

I finally got the test extension functioning, but after seeing that
everything was working and quitting the interpreter or the IDE, I was unable
to start up anything associated with Python. No IDE, no interpreter, no
EditPythonPrefs, no ConfigurePhython, even after a restart. The only
workaround I found was to trash the Python prefs folder and reinstall
Python.

Something had to be wrong. So I started to unroll the changes that I had
done. Low and behold, when I unrolled the merging of the PythonCorePPC lib,
I could quit and restart the IDE without a problem.

So the moral of the story is, "DO NOT merge the PythonCorePPC lib in with
your extension. You will hate yourself for it."