[Pythonmac-SIG] can't exit module

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:15:44 +0100

> Does anyone know what IDLE does about this? Can you use another GUI
> toolbox with IDLE other than tkinter?, or soes it have the same
> conflicting mainloop problems?

Possibly. On the mac you have to write your own event loop, so if you use two
event loops they won't know about each other, and half your events won't get
to their destination. On X11 (or on X11+Xt actually, what almost everyone
uses) the event loop is in the bowels of the library, and you simply register
handlers for various events and then call the supplied event loop, so there's
a good chance of multiple windowing packages working together. The same is
true on Windows, with the event loop down in the OS (as far as I know). It
will also be true on MacOS X, I think it's part of the Carbon Event Handler.