[Pythonmac-SIG] problems installing python 1.5.2 on Mac OS 8.6

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:51:32 +0100

Recently, Larry Woestman <lwoestman@proaxis.com> said:
> I can't get the Macintosh version of Python 1.5.2c1 to install on my Imac run
> ning MacOS 8.6.  It installs without obvious complaints but fails to run the
> ConfigurePython program. It just "flashes" on the screen with no other output
> .  When I try to run Pysol 3.10 (I know, but it was an easy-to-find python pr
> ogram) it fails with a "Pysol cannot find the standard Python libraries.  Ple
> ase check your installation.".

Hmm. There have been a few complaints about the 1.5.2 installer not
working, but so far they've all been from people running a Japanese MacOS.
So, I think you have a different problem.

Could you try removing _everything_ with "python" in the name from
your system folder and then running ConfigurePython again? If that
fails again, please start Python and tell me what sys.path is. Also,
the output from Apple System Profile could be handy.

The symptoms you give are usually caused because Python can't find its
home location (i.e. the folder where it lives). This is most often
called by an old, incorrect, preference file. There are other
possibilities, though, like having two disks with the same name.