[Pythonmac-SIG] python extension on MacOS

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:46:54 +0200

> I am contemplating interfacing with a data acquisition card which
> would have MacOS drivers (National Instruments for example and their
> Ni-DAQ software libraries for example, which is a project which I
> have done using Tcl/Tk).  I have been messing with the Python
> extension project bundled with the 1.5.2 distribution for the Mac and
> it would seem to require a PythonCore library file which I don't seem
> to have (currently using CodeWarrior V3.1).

PythonCore you have, it's in the main Python folder. The xx project should
have been setup in such a way that it finds it automatically, but apparently
it didn't?

> Also there is a requirement for CWGUSI directory which I don't seem
> to have in the distribution.  There is a reference in the docs to a
> site where one can get this GUSI but then there is also a GUSI-mods
> directory with the source.  I am not quite sure how all of this fits
> together.  Did I miss something obvious in the documentation?  Any
> further advice would be appreciated.

Hmm, you're right, building an extension is theoretically dependent on the
CWGUSI include files, I never really thought about that. It's only dependent
on the include files, the library itself is incorporated in PythonCore.

For 99.9% of the extension modules you can get away with removing CWGUSI from
the access path in the project. You'll only have problems if you are using I/O
calls that are part of GUSI and that are incompatible with their MSL
counterparts (or nonexistent in MSL), such as socket, select, stat, threading.