[Pythonmac-SIG] [Newbee] Schedule

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:19:41 +0200

> I can only find "Allow processor cycling" in my Powerbook 9.04 system
> (Energy Saver version 2.5.5), my G3 deskdrawer machine does not have any
> processor specific settings but that's version 2.5.2.

That could definitely be the wording in english. I translated from the dutch
"processor rust toegestaan" (Energiestand version N1-2.5.5). It's there on
both my G4 and my iMac DV.

> A python scripts calls another application (Finder, Filemaker) via
> appleevents. When a script calls for the Finder to do something simple
> like moving or copying files (I have reasons to want the Finder to do it
> - I am aware of more python-like ways)), it will take forever when the
> IDE is in the foreground (up to the point of an AE timeout error),
> whereas if the Finder is in the front it will zoom right through it. As
> if python is _so_ busy waiting for an answer from the AE that the called
> application actually gets no time to deal with the request.

And now _I_ am wondering whether this is related to the problems Andrew Watson
mentioned last week, where talking to the AppleShareIP SMTP server on the same
machine would hang.

Andrew: were you execting your script from the IDE or from the bare Python
interpreter?

When Python is in the foreground it doesn't give much time to background
processes when it is not idle. When it is idle, however, such as when waiting
for socket I/O or for an AppleEvent reply, it should be giving ample time to
background tasks. It sounds as though there could be a bug in there somewhere,
though. My first guess is that the bug is in the IDE: I run scripts from the
interpreter many times dayly (to recompile Python, for instance) and I haven't
seen this behaviour. And the IDE takes over most event handling from the core.
But it could also be in the interpreter core, and that I don't see it is
somehow because CodeWarrior isn't susceptible to the lockout problem.

Erik: could you check whether your lockout problem is only with IDE in the
foreground, or whether the same happens with the bare interpreter?