[Pythonmac-SIG] My attempts to use 1.6a3

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:55:10 -0700

Hi folks,

I was having some wierd problems with an app built with BuildApplication
popping up unwanted output window, and Jack suggested I try 1.6, so I
did. The following is an entirely too detailed account of my experience.
Most of my problems were minor problems with the default install, that I
fixed, but I have afew stumpers that I can't get
passed.

The big one is that I can't get EditPythonPrefs to allow me to change my
startup otions. As a result, I couldn't test to see if the above problem
was fixed. For the details, see below:

-Chris

Notes on MacPython 1.6a2.
-------------------------------
Installed from the installer on 7/18/00. On a Blue&White G3, running
MacOS 8.6

test.autotest:

In the README, it states that test_strftime is expected to fail. For me,
test_zlib
failed as well (not a big deal)

Testing TKinter:
--------------------------------

>>>import Tkinter:

ImportError: No module named Tkinter

OOPS, not on the path (I thought this was fixed)

I added $(PYTHON):Lib:lib-tk to the path

now when I import Tkinter I get:

SystemError: NULL object passed to PyObject_Init

>>> import _tkinter

works, when I then try:

>>> import Tkinter
shift: no mem in addchild
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
MemoryError

HMM. I up the memory for the interpretter to 12000 k and it now import
Tkinter works!

I try

>>> Tkinter._test()

and the interpreter crashes with a "type 11 error"

I gave it more memory and the same thing happens.

I remembered that there are known problems using tkinter at the command
line, so I put
the test code in a file and drop it on the interpreter. All is well!

Testing EditPythonPrefs:
-----------------------------------

I don't want to see the ouput window come up everytime, so I try
EditPythonPrefs, click
on Startup options, and get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Macintosh HD:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:EditPythonPrefs.py",
line 186, in ?
  File "Macintosh HD:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:EditPythonPrefs.py",
line 179, in
main
  File "Macintosh HD:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:EditPythonPrefs.py",
line 162, in
edit_preferences
  File "Macintosh HD:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:EditPythonPrefs.py",
line 144, in
interact
  File "Macintosh HD:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:EditPythonPrefs.py",
line 81, in
optinteract
KeyError: nonavservices

I'm stumped on this one.

testing BuildApplication:

First it crashed with a memory error. I added memory, and it seemed to
work (I really, really, hate MacOS memory "management"). then I got
an error and it asked me where Pythoncore could be found. It turns out
there was a dead
alias in the Extentions folder. I put a good one in there, and it still
asked me for
the core, but this time I pointed it to the alias, and it worked. Does
that alias need to be named anything in particular? (I tried PythonCore
1.6a2)

When I run the application, however, I get the error:

'import macfsn' failed; use -v for traceback
XXX rds_object called with exception set
ImportError: No module named macfsn

my little test app did not directly import macfsn. It just ran
Tkinter._test()

I'm stumped again

so, that's where I'm at. any ideas anyone?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.