[Pythonmac-SIG] My attempts to use 1.6a3

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:17:15 +0200

Recently, Chris Barker <cbarker@jps.net> said:
> I was having some wierd problems with an app built with BuildApplication
> popping up unwanted output window, and Jack suggested I try 1.6, so I
> did. The following is an entirely too detailed account of my experience.

No, no, no!! The following is a briliant account of your experience! I
wish more people would do this (that was a hint to the rest of the
readership here:-)

Most of the problems have been solved in the current source tree, I'll
go through them one by one:

> test.autotest:
>
> In the README, it states that test_strftime is expected to fail. For me,
> test_zlib
> failed as well (not a big deal)

This is again the memory problem (it works if you run the test suite
the second time). The next release will have 16 Mb as preferred memory
size, 4Mb minimum.

> Testing TKinter:
> --------------------------------

> ImportError: No module named Tkinter
>
> OOPS, not on the path (I thought this was fixed)

So did I. I'll check it again. Well, it's fixed in the sources, so it
should be ok in the next release.

> now when I import Tkinter I get:
>
> SystemError: NULL object passed to PyObject_Init
Again, the memory error, I presume. This "shouldn't happen", however,
I'll investigate.

> shift: no mem in addchild

Again the memory error. this one is difficult to fix, though: it
occurs in an obscure place in the parser.

> and the interpreter crashes with a "type 11 error"

It works for me, although Python behaves weird after you quit the test
dialog. Did you test it from PythonInterpreter or from IDE? You cannot
use Tkinter from IDE, and horrible things happen if you try. We'll try
to put in a warning in the next release.

> Testing EditPythonPrefs:
> -----------------------------------

Fixed in the sources. The easy fix is to change nonavservice in
Mac:lib:pythonprefs.py to nonavservices.

> testing BuildApplication:
>
> When I run the application, however, I get the error:
>
> 'import macfsn' failed; use -v for traceback
> XXX rds_object called with exception set
> ImportError: No module named macfsn

Again a stupid omission on my side. BuildApplication doesn't know that
all programs implicitly include macfsn. Adding an "import macfsn" to
your source is the quickest workaround (since then BuildApplication
does know it's needed).