[Pythonmac-SIG] test_socket failed, reverse name lookup

Jared Updike jaredu@its.caltech.edu
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

>Your nameserver is broken. The three calls in the test script are
>        hostname = socket.gethostname()
>        ip = socket.gethostbyname(hostname)
>        hname, aliases, ipaddrs = socket.gethostbyaddr(ip)
>and only the final one, which does the reverse lookup on your IP address,
>apparently fails. The various RFC standards specify that for each IP
>address the reverse mapping should always work.

Now my question is, exactly how do I go about fixing this? Is there a
configuration I need to set on this machine so MacOS knows the machine's
name, and/or is it external to this machine? (in which case I have already
sent e-mail to the network admins with the same question)? I'm guessing
that there are multiple places for things to go wrong, and no single, easy
solution, but I honestly don't understand exactly what's wrong, and hence
how to fix it. I'll read te RFC about it, for now.

>As an aside, you'll also have trouble accessing ftp.cwi.nl to load a new
>MacPython (as that machine uses reverse mapping as part of its anti-abuse
>policy).

BTW your prediction was correct (I'd had that problem before you even
mentioned it...)

--Jared

Web: http://waffles.caltech.edu
Phone: (626)395-1154