[Pythonmac-SIG] Darwin (Not Python, yet...)

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:00:34 -0400 (EDT)

OK -- Question first and then the report:

  What's the state of Python on Darwin?
  Any one do a build yet with X11, Tkinter, ( or WxWindows or Qt or ... )?
  Any tips?

  Darwin and OSX integration: Is this close enough to make one version
    (with DLLs to support all of the options, for example, if you're
     running Darwin, you may have X11, but you don't have Carbon, etc.)

  Python isn't included in Apple's Scripting CVS directory, and I don't
   see any links in the Darwin pages at Stepwise or elsewhere.

Report:

I just loaded Darwin 1.0.2 binary on my 8500 Mac at work, connected
to apple's CVS server, checked in and built XFree86 (overnight!)
and got it running, all with only a few hitches:

 1. Although the installer seems to indicate that it will install
    (and erase) on a partition, it actually needs a free disk with
    one partition -- whenever I tried it on a one-gig partition,
    the installation hung up on me.

 2. Read the FAQs about starting DNS.
    ( Other than DNS, the networking came up live -- it must have
      used BOOTP or DHCP to get an IP address ? )

 3. There is a binary distribution of lynx available (insert URL here...)
    Get it so that you can read the FAQs and mailing list archives once
    you've installed it and don't have you Mac's browser available.

 4. You probably want to get registered on Apple's publicsource web
    BEFORE you install, so that you can log into the CVS server --
    you'll need to keep that password.

 5. The product name for checking in X is "XFree86"
    ( I had to use the CVS Web browser interface to find this -- one
      of those many things lynx came in handy for. )

  setenv CVSROOT :pserver:USER@anoncvs.publicsource.apple.com:/cvs/Darwin
  cvs login
    <asks password...>
  cvs -z3 checkout XFree86

    <cd to directory>

  make World
    <on an 8500/120, go home an get some sleep!>
  make install

  <add /usr/X11R6/bin to path>

  startx

Reading thru the mailing list archives, I see that it's going to be
impossible (right now) to boot Darwin on my 6100 at home. I'm really
thinking about going out and getting an IBook real soon so  I can
play with this.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

"There's a new programming language called C+++. It's 50% better than C++,
         but every time you compile, your modem hangs up."