[Pythonmac-SIG] old ftp site removed

Rob Managan managan@llnl.gov
Wed, 10 May 2000 17:37:25 -0700

At 10:47 PM +0200 5/9/00, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Recently, Rob Managan <managan@llnl.gov> said:
>>  The default installation includes NumPy.
>>
>>  I suppose we could twist some arms and get the sources and projects
>>  included with the developer's package that you can install.
>
>Consider it twisted:-)
>
>But, I'm not sure what you want. I'd be willing to include the .h
>files in the development package, but is that going to do anyone any
>good? Are a lot of people writing extensions that make use of the
>NumPy shared libraries (because that is basically the only thing you
>can do with the development install option: compile your own sources
>to link against PythonCore or any of the plugin modules. (Yes, I know,
>the 1.6a2 installer has all the projects in Mac:Build, but that's an
>oversight. There's nothing you can do with the projects without the
>sources).

The .h files are what is needed. Any number of extension modules that
use NumPy arrays need to include those headers.

The projects would only be useful since they are not available at the
sourceforge NumPy archive. Thus while you can get the source there,
the projects would allow you to easily compile a newer version of
NumPy than was shipped with the Mac installer.
--
Rob Managan       <mailto://managan@llnl.gov>