[Pythonmac-SIG] These are un-doable, right?

Craig Hagerman craig@osa.att.ne.jp
Sat, 13 May 2000 22:29:03 +0900

Hi,

It sounds odd- but I want to check and make sure that a couple things I
assume I can't do in Mac Python can't be done.

First of all, am I correct in my understanding that I can not create a
child process (fork), or a separate thread, or any other kind of
multi-tasking with the mac version of Python? I think that this is only
available with Windows or UNIX systems. This is what I understand but I
don't know for sure.

Assuming that is the case, I am also curious about whether or not it will
be possible to do this with Python under OS X. I assume that the os.fork()
method will work fine with OS X, but what about threads. I think that they
require POSIX compliency, which I think Apple is not going to seek for OS X
(but I am way out of my depth here). Anyone know the story on this?

Another thing-- Am I correct in thinking that I can't do anything with the
(toolbox ) Time Manager? I wanted some UNIX-ish cron functionality and
right now use something called "iDo Script Scheduler" (little utility from
Sophisticated Curcuits which allows you to schedule when AppleScripts do
their thing) to call an AppleScript which in turn calls the Python script
to do it's business. Kind of convoluted - just like to know if there is an
easier way around this. Again, I assume that cron will be available under
OS X so I can live with it until then, but just wondering.

Lastly --  Is there any way to call AppleScripts from within Python? I was
surprised to find out that you can do this within MacPerl code. I can't do
this within Mac Python, right?

Thanks in advance,

Craig Hagerman