[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Per user dirs on Non-Unix platforms (was Re: [Python-Dev] Where to install non-code files)

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 29 May 2000 23:56:53 +0200

Okay, from all the bits of knowledge imparted by the various
contributors (thanks! this was all news to me!) I think we can safely
assume that the following code will work under all macos versions,
regardless of whether they're multiuser, 8, 9, X or whatever:
   vrefnum, curdir = macfs.FindFolder(-1, 'pref', 0)
   fss = macfs.FSSpec((vrefnum, curdir, 'myapplication preferences'))
   filename = fss.as_pathname()
and if you're feeling fancy you can use the kOnSystemDisk constant for
'-1' and the kDontCreate for 0 (or something like that).

BTW: I doubt that MacOS9 actually copies the preferences folder
around, as someone suggested, I would guess that it simply adjusts the
value returned by FindFolder. Programs that don't use FindFolder but
hardcoded pathnames get stomped on rather seriously in non-US MacOS
versions since about 1992, so I don't think there's many of them left.