[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: API_MAC_CARBON

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:55:35 +0100

> Well -- if the MacOS Plugin Modules are Carbon, then they should also
> work for MacOSX Python. The would need to be recompiled to mach-o
> format for the current MacOSX python to load them. An alternative
> appears to be to add the CFM import code from MacPython to the OSX
> version so that it could import CFM modules.

The interesting modules are the toolbox modules, and I'm not sure whether
these are supported under non-carbon MacOSX. There are quite a few differences
between the carbon and non-carbon programming model (think of pathnames, for
instance).

But: why don't you try to take the MacPython source of an interesting module
(AppleScript or QuickTime comes to mind) and try to get it to compile and run
under MacOSX Python?