[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython & BBEdit 6.0.1

John A. Miller jmillr@umich.edu
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:40:59 -0500 (EST)

I'm new to (Mac)Python and this list. I've downloaded and installed the
latest 2.0 version, and am just beginning to understand the MacPython way
of working. As I gleaned from the documentation, there are basically two
approaches: use the PythonIDE, or use the PythonInterpreter. The
documentation further suggests that the recommended way of programming is
to use the PythonIDE, but that the documentation itself focuses mainly on
using the PythonInterpreter, which is fine since I hope to create some
GUIs with TKinter, so I'm (currently) restricted to using the
PythonInterpreter anyway (if I understand correctly). Furthermore, I'm
fond of BBEdit 6.0.1 and would like to use it for my Python programming,
so my question centers on recommendations for most closely integrating
BBEdit with MacPython 2.0. The documentation refers to a 'BBPy' folder
which seems to be missing the "Run as Python" extension, and the
documention for *it* (BBPy) seems quite dated (although it may still be
up-to-date!) Another piece of the puzzle is that BBEdit now has the
capability of using 'Language Modules' for languages not natively
supported. So, my interrelated questions are:

* Is there a "Run as Python" extension (now called Plug-Ins) to use with
BBEdit 6.0+?

* Does anyone know of any effort to create a Python Language Module for
BBEdit 6.0+?

* Are there any suggestions born of experience for using BBEdit as a
standalone editor with the PythonInterpreter?

Thanks for any assistance getting my MacPython experience off on the right
foot!

John Miller