[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE feature requests

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:16:05 +0100

Now that I'm starting to use the IDE more and more (as the last
MacPythoneer, probably) I'm coming up with things I'd like
to have added too. I guess this wishlist is primarily aimed at Just,
but if someone else wants to step in and provide code I'm sure that's
okay too.

- I'd like an "open recent" menu, which keeps the most recently
  opened/saved files. These should probably be saved in the preference
  file.
- I'd like a way to copy a variable from one window to another. An
  example of when this is useful is when you see a variable in a
  browser or debugger window, and you want to call some method on
  it. How this could work is that a magic module is always available
  (__ide__?), and the variable you copy is assigned to, say,
  __ide__.clipboard. Then you could put the text "__ide__.clipboard"
  in the clipboard and ready you are.
  This is the only way I can think of that you can use to close files
  or such.
- Another feature I'd like (and which may obviate the need for the
  copy variable) is the ability to execute arbitrary code in a
  stackframe in the debugger. I find that I have to return to pdb
  pretty often because the IDE debugger allows only inspection.
- I'd like an option to make the output window popup when something is
  written to it. I always sit staring at wrong windows waiting for my
  output to appear.
www.oratrix.nl/~jack    | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++