[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE feature requests

tom smith tom@othermedia.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:23:58 +0000

on 16/11/00 2:16 pm, Jack Jansen at jack@oratrix.nl wrote:

I'm using MacPython about 12 hours a day at the mo'

> - I'd like an "open recent" menu, which keeps the most recently
> opened/saved files. These should probably be saved in the preference
> file.

I've been dreaming of having that feature all week!

By the way, BBedit just stores a folder of aliases in the preferences
folder.

> - I'd like an option to make the output window popup when something is
> written to it. I always sit staring at wrong windows waiting for my
> output to appear.

And that one!

I'd like to be able to set the font & background colours of the different
windows (output, interactive and code..so that I can locate them quicker)

More "reliable" syntax colouring as standard.

A simple tool to be able to run a python file with command line
parameters...

I'd like a key command for the output window. Command-Shift-0

I'd like a toggle-windows command command-tab ?

A script to trash all .pyc files in a folder recursively.

I always have to do global search and replaces in BBEdit.

Line numbers

The ability to open "****" files and make them "pide" files rather than just
say "I can't open this file".

I'd like to be able to REALLY look at variables in the debugger (maybe in a
further double-click to open sub window), anything longer than a URL and I'm
stuck.

I'd like an Apple-Help file for the modules.

PythonWin has function suggestions, to remind you what variables a function
takes as you type. Nice.

I tried getting the gui-builder (written in Tk) that writes Tk to work but
it wouldn't launch...sigh

I wish Grail worked...

there more...

Auto-completion of say tom.myVeryLongFunct.... , PythonWin has collapsable
code, the ability to turn on drag & drop. regular expression searches...

All of these would make my life at least a little less ... you know....

just because a programming language is written in text, doesn't mean the
editor has to be so basic.

cheers

tom