[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python on Mac OS X w/shared modules [long]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Perhaps you have installed libpython20.dylib into the wrong location?
> It somehow assumes that the "framework" (whatever that is) is capable
> of dealing with multiple versions, and finding them in different
> locations.

Well, I'm still trying to sort out all of this next/macosx terminology
myself, but yes, I think frameworks handle multiple versioning of
libraries, fat binaries ( ppc and intel ), and other things.

They are also used to bundle up other program resources in one place --
 some of the same sort of stuff that used to go in Mac Resouce forks
 in application files, and they also hold the include files for the
 library. ( I was unable to find mach-o/dyld.h files using 'find /usr/include...
 but I knew the compiler was finding it somewhere -- then I looked in
 the System Framework and found it! )

Applications are to executables what Frameworks are to shared libs:
you can have a simple unix-style executable, or you can bundle up
fat binaries, libraries, etc. into an application bundle. If you
stuck all the python library files into a Python.app bundle, you
could move the app around and all the resources would go with it --
not install process would be necessary to put everything in it's
place.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."