[Pythonmac-SIG] '.pyc' and pathnames

Etienne Antoniutti Di Muro etienne@alias.it
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:47:30 +0200

Dear list members,

I am distributing a C++ application with embedded python modules.
I'm using PythonCore from Python1.5.2c2src distribution.

I do distribute:
1- the C++ binary
2- PythonCore
3- Python essential modules + my embedded modules (.pyc only -not plain .py - compiled on a
developping-Mac ).

During debugging and Python error tracebacks I notice that Pythno refers to modules using
pathnames coming from the specific filesystem of the developping-Mac
(i.e: "MyMacintosh HD: [.....] : My_path_to_the_embedded_modules:my_embedded_module.py")

But if no bug is found and the c++ application doesn't get corrupted and terminates correctly,
everything works fine.

If I do debugging on a user-Mac (different from the one I compiled to .pyc the embedded modules)
tracebacks report the same pathnames.

This makes much sense, but shoud I warn about that??
Python1.5.2c1 pyc files are machine dependent??

thanks in advance
etienne

--
      it's time to leave this town