[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python on Mac OS X w/shared modules

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:10:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Tony Lownds wrote:

> How do you think the FCNTL.py / fcntlmodule.so problem can be solved?

Sorry I didn't reply right away -- I was thinking about this, but
there's no magic solution.

The short term solution is to rename one of the modules for OSX.

We should probably take this part of the discussion to the main
python list, as the next question is whether FCNTL/fcntl should
be left non-portable, or should be changed on all platforms --
which would probably break code.

I've been rolling around some ideas on how to cover over the
incompatabilities,  but so far nothing that isn't ugly or wouldn't
require changes to the module-lookup method that would likely be
just as controversial as renaming FCNTL.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."