[Pythonmac-SIG] Darwin vs. OSX (was: Python on Mac OS X w/shared modules)

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:37:24 -0700

At 01:03 PM 10/4/2000 -0400, Steven D. Majewski wrote:
>On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>

> > > a) fixes the platform recognition code in configure (and
> configure.in) to
> > > recognize Mac OS X as "darwin/1.2"
> >
> > I'm confused. I thought that darwin was the name of a free BSD
> > personality on top of MacOS X, and that the "official" MacOS X tools
> > are different from the Darwin ones. Is that the case? and do the
> > official tools behave like the Darwin tools for building Python.

>There are free Darwin development tools -- gnu based with a lot of
>Apple mods -- which will work on either Darwin or the full OSX.
>But it doesn't have all of the nifty Next-like graphical development
>tools -- ProjectBuilder, et.al. or all of the higher level Mac
>environment libraries.

The gnu Darwin development tools will be used by the higher-level
ProjectBuilder et.al. so the official tools should act the same.

I made Mac OS X recognizable as "darwin/1.2" because thats what hostinfo says.

>There is a MacOSX beta developer kit that is going to be available
>free online, but is now only sent to regi$tered developers, which
>contains both all of the gnu/unix development environment plus all
>of the apple specific development tools.

Should be available by the middle of the month!

>With the shared libraries working, it ought to be possible to build
>one Python executable with dynamic libraries for both environments:
>i.e. users running "vanilla" Darwin are probably running X11,Gtk,Tk,
>etc. ODX users will have the Mac libraries. ( There's a commercial
>rootless X under Mac OSX server, and eventually, I expect XFree86
>to be modified so you can have X11 and MacOS graphics environment.)

I think it will be really challenging to integrate the two different ports;
the pretty trivial generic UNIX to Darwin conversion and the decidedly
non-trivial Carbonized MacPython

In the scenario you describe above there could be two totally different but
valid _tkinter.so files to load! Actually I don't think the Tk people have
done a lot of work on Mac OS X yet, so that may not be an issue for a while...

-Tony