[Pythonmac-SIG] Python on on a second drive

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:34:47 -0700

At 17:59 +0200 10/13/00, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Okay. So it seems that applets will not work correctly if Python is installed
>on a drive different than the boot drive.
>
>I could try detecting this situation in the installer or ConfigurePython, and
>offering to copy PythonCore to the extension folder (in stead of creating the
>alias).
>
>Is that a good idea?

Well, except for those whose two boot drives are used more "evenly" than my
two (here, one is for those little emergencies when the Mac destroys a
volume).  Tricking up the installer would produce something that works when
the user boots from the "right" drive.  (But that problem already exists.)

(And by "drive" here in this discussion, I think we all mean
"partition"...mine really are two drives (now).)

The two boot drive case is probably best solved by installing on both.

Since the file at issue is a shared library, I agree you are "stuck" with
the Extensions folder.  I'll try to find time to play over the weekend.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA