[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.0c1 and LinearAlgebra/Matrix

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:40:03 +0200

Recently, Paul Miller <paulm@avacadcam.com> said:
> I am having problems using Numeric with Python 2.0c1:
>
> import LinearAlgebra
>
> and
>
> import Matrix
>
> both report that the modules are missing.  Both of these worked with 2.0b1.
>
> Is this a bug, or have I just missed something?

No, this is a bug. And a difficult one to fix:-(

Let me explain, maybe someone has a simple solution. The Numerical
people have gone over to distutils completely, but unfortunately
distutils doesn't work on the Mac yet. Actually it could work, because
some of us have put quite some effort into it over the last couple of
weeks, but the distutils crowd chose to exclude the Mac stuff for the
2.0 release. This is sort-of understandable, and I might even
grudglingly agree with them (grudgingly, because I spent hours to get
things working just vefore I left on holidays only to find that
nothing had happened with the code when I returned two weeks later:-(
), but it leaves the Numeric/MacPython combo is a sad state. The old
method of simply adding Numeric:Lib to sys.path doesn't work anymore,
and the new distutils method doesn't work yet.

I could manually revert my sourcetree to the old state before the
distribution, but maybe someone has a better idea?