[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python for Mac OS X public beta

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:31:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> as the developer tools aren't available on MacOSX for mere mortals
> (you either have to be an apple developer to get them, or go out and
> find the Darwin tools and load those) could one of the people who was
> involved with getting Python to run on OSX whip up a binary
> distribution?
>
> If needed I can provide ftpspace to put it, but I don't have the time
> to put this thing together...

If you've got somewhere for me to upload it, I've got 2.0c1 for
OSX with expat, Tkinter and pygtk support. I  would have done it
for 2.0 final by now, but I haven't been able to connect to
pythonlabs.com since yesterday.

I assume the best format would be a tar file of /usr/local/bin/python*
and /usr/local/lib/python2.0/* --  I could do it relative from
/usr/local, but I'm not sure how python gets the base directory --
is it done at runtime or install time? ( i.e. If you install it
somewhere other than /usr/local, will it still have the correct
python paths? )

I could also just tar up the distribution directory with binaries
ready for a "make install",  but Python, expat, tcl/tk and pygtk
( and Gtk ) are all in separate directories.
The tkinter and gtk python modules are dynamically loadable, but
they are statically linked (I think) to the tk & gtk libs, so
perhaps those don't have to be separately installed.

Is there a volunteer to test whatever distribution I build to
check whether everthing necessary to run is indeed included ?

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."