[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.0 Final

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacobkm@cats.ucsc.edu
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:01:52 -0700

My experiences with MacPython 2.0:

Installation:

Installed on a G4/450.  Installation took about sixty seconds, and
then ConfigurePython ran for maybe another thirty.

Installed on a G3/400.  Installation took about two minutes, and
ConfigurePython took almost fifteen, but finished successfully.

Installed on a PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 240 on an external hard
drive.  Installation took a minute of two, and ConfigurePython
thought for about a minute before it told me that I was installing on
a external drive, and asked me if I wanted PythonCore in the
Extensions folder.  I said yes, and it did its thing for about two
more minutes, and then quit.

All three installations work great.  Numeric works, Tkinter "works"
just as well as it did before.

PythonCGISlave's problem with corrupt prefs seems to be solved.
However, BuildCGIApplet bombs every time I use it with the following
traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "1gb External HD:Jacobs Stuff Master:  Programming:Python
2.0:Mac:Tools:CGI:BuildCGIApplet.py", line 76, in ?
     main()
   File "1gb External HD:Jacobs Stuff Master:  Programming:Python
2.0:Mac:Tools:CGI:BuildCGIApplet.py", line 21, in main
     buildcgiapplet()
   File "1gb External HD:Jacobs Stuff Master:  Programming:Python
2.0:Mac:Tools:CGI:BuildCGIApplet.py", line 54, in buildcgiapplet
     buildone(template, wrapper, filename, dstfilename)
   File "1gb External HD:Jacobs Stuff Master:  Programming:Python
2.0:Mac:Tools:CGI:BuildCGIApplet.py", line 70, in buildone
     py_resource.frompyfile(src, "CGI_MAIN", preload=1)
   File "1gb external hd:jacobs stuff master:  programming:python
2.0:mac:lib:py_resource.py", line 68, in frompyfile
     return frompycfile(file, name, preload=preload, ispackage=ispackage)
   File "1gb external hd:jacobs stuff master:  programming:python
2.0:mac:lib:py_resource.py", line 59, in frompycfile
     writemodule(name, id, data, preload=preload, ispackage=ispackage)
   File "1gb external hd:jacobs stuff master:  programming:python
2.0:mac:lib:py_resource.py", line 44, in writemodule
     res.AddResource(type, id, name)
Mac OS Error: (-61, 'write permissions error')

The resulting applet seems to work, however.

All in all, a great job.  Thanks a lot!

Jacob Kaplan-Moss