[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: API_MAC_CARBON

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:09:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jack Jansen wrote:

> I have a Carbonized MacPython sort-of working. But: there is no GUSI for
> carbon yet, so it doesn't have sockets/select/threads, so that makes it rather
> useless. As soon as GUSI is Carbon-compatible we should have a working
> Carbon-Python.

Well -- if the MacOS Plugin Modules are Carbon, then they should also
work for MacOSX Python. The would need to be recompiled to mach-o
format for the current MacOSX python to load them. An alternative
appears to be to add the CFM import code from MacPython to the OSX
version so that it could import CFM modules.

Re: the new event model:
 This seems very promising, however, it's not at all well documented.
See:
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/oss/CarbonEventManager/carboneventmanager.html>

Or look directly at the CarbonEvents.h file from the Universal Interfaces -
it seems to have at least one procedure that isn't in the html version
of the API docs.

The new event model doesn't use WaitNextEvent. It registers handlers
for events and handles the default cases. You call RunApplicationEventLoop
or RunCurrentEventLoop. It's sort of like a mini-framework in C.
( And it should work on OS8 or 9 with CarbonLib. )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."