[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython2.0b1

Riccardo Trocca rtrocca@libero.it
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:35:59 +0200

Something (6 points) I noticed:

1)Numerical:
-as already noted headers are missing
-some library (shlb) missing: fftpack
-some strange path: the path is not setted for FFT.py and company that are
in the packages subfolder (or, at least, import FFT doesn't work).

2)I've written a small utility that shows a numeric 2d array in a Framework
Win to mimick the view function of NumPy.
I can send to Mr. Jansen to see if it is worth including in MacPython.
The same code has been modified to show an L or RGB(A) image from Image.
(not tested with 2.0b1)
In order to do that I use a subclass of PixMapWrapper.

3)Then: I put my vote for an ftp downloadable snapshot of the MacPython
2.0b1 source (as done for MacPython 1.5.2).
In my case I still didn't have time to learn CVS, but I'd like to see if I
can contribute some mods I did to the Qt lib in order to to use some Qt4
calls (findNextInterestingTIme) and being able to draw a frame in a GWorld.
What I did works well in 1.5.2.

4)Is somebody interested in working on the Qt support (I'll never do
anything alone :-) )? I think that it would be good to document it a little
bit more and to improve some section. I think that Python would be a very
interesting tool to to work with Qt. For example I wrote some code to grab a
frame from a movie and put it in a Numeric (or Image), and it is very useful
for Computer Vision Research. With some work MacPython (and, why not,
WinPython) can be an alternative to programs like videoscript or NIH Image
or Video Image. I think that Qt for Java is a good inspiration. It would be
interesting to work with SpriteAnimation. A good Qt module would also be a
replacement or an extension to Image (a qt image importer plus the ability
to use a movie or an ImageSequence with the seek function).

5)Why not including the advanced editor patch in MacPython2.0?
I've found it on Mr.Strout website (www.strout.net/info/coding/python/mac)
and it provides syntax coloring and mote to the IDE. Again I didn't try it
on 2.0b1 but with 1.5.2 it does a pretty good job (even if it has some bug
in the coloring engine).

6)IDLE.
I've found that adding a mac config file in the idle folder it works. well,
it starts up even if it has a lot of problems first of all with menu (ugly
and messed up and not Mac-like) and occasional crashes (the open module
command worked fine just once for me, after that it always crashes).
Anyway the editor works (syntax coloring engine and browsing functions,
etc.)
Probably with some more work it can be good, but, in my case I don't know a
bit about TK.

Riccardo Trocca
rtrocca@libero.it
Laboratory of Musical Informatics