[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython2.0b1

Riccardo Trocca rtrocca@libero.it
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:27:37 +0200

>  > -some library (shlb) missing: fftpack
>>  -some strange path: the path is not setted for FFT.py and company that are
>  > in the packages subfolder (or, at least, import FFT doesn't work).

Anyway they compile easily, even if I have some problems with
realffft2d. But it was just a quick and dirty test.

>  > 2)I've written a small utility that shows a numeric 2d array in a Framework
>>  Win to mimick the view function of NumPy.
>>  I can send to Mr. Jansen to see if it is worth including in MacPython.
>>  The same code has been modified to show an L or RGB(A) image from Image.
>>  (not tested with 2.0b1)
>>  In order to do that I use a subclass of PixMapWrapper.
>
>I wonder what the best place is to put this: the Numerical
>distribution or the MacPython distribution. But if you think it's
>MacPython I'll happily accept it and put it in the Contrib
>directory. If you could send me a stuffit archive with the sources and
>a readme file that I can just drop in that would be great!

Hmmm, I'd say MacPython. Just give me the time to put some comment
more and then I'll send you everything (but don't laugh too much for
the bad quality of my coding)

>>  In my case I still didn't have time to learn CVS, but I'd like to see if I
>>  can contribute some mods I did to the Qt lib in order to to use some Qt4
>>  calls (findNextInterestingTIme) and being able to draw a frame in a GWorld.
>>  What I did works well in 1.5.2.
>
>Great minds think alike:-) I just added this functionality to the Qt
>module a couple of months ago.

In fact. looking at the source code of 2.0b1 I could see that you did
it and in almost the same way I did it.
Thanks!

>What exactly is the functionality you miss in the Qt module? It
>exports almost everything from the QuickTime library: the only
>exceptions are routines that were somehow difficult and for which I
>didn't see all that much use. If there's specific routines you want
>let me know and I'll try to find the time ading them.

To be sincere my line of thought is this:
1-The qt module is there and it has a lot of functionality and, I've
all I need by now.
Anyway it is a little bit difficult to start working with it if you
don't already know Qt and Qt programming.
I think that we could put some example more in the Qt folder. I can
provide a couple including a class I made that extract frames from a
movie. I'd like to see you videosource.py too.
One functionality that I still didn't explore is the manipulation of sprites.
There is some application to create interactive movies, but it is
usually done writing some C code that creates the movie  (sprite,
sprite events/wired sprites).
I think that it would be nice to do it in MacPython and this would
make it a very very interesting product .
2-I don't know if you tried Jpython: it is a really interesting thing.
I still didn't have time to test it well, but it allows you to use
every java class installed on your system. This includes Qt4Java. I
started looking at it and I've seen that the API has been revised a
bit, ordered in packages and so on. I was thinking that something
similar, if realized for CPython, would be very interesting and,
probably, portable even to Win32 (don't kill me).

>>  5)Why not including the advanced editor patch in MacPython2.0?
>>  I've found it on Mr.Strout website (www.strout.net/info/coding/python/mac)
>>  and it provides syntax coloring and mote to the IDE. Again I didn't try it
>>  on 2.0b1 but with 1.5.2 it does a pretty good job (even if it has some bug
>>  in the coloring engine).
>
>I'll leave this decision to Just. Just: what do you think?

Just a quick note: it seems to work well.

>>  6)IDLE.
>>  I've found that adding a mac config file in the idle folder it works. well,
>>  it starts up even if it has a lot of problems first of all with menu (ugly
>>  and messed up and not Mac-like) and occasional crashes (the open module
>>  command worked fine just once for me, after that it always crashes).
>>  Anyway the editor works (syntax coloring engine and browsing functions,
>  > etc.)
>>  Probably with some more work it can be good, but, in my case I don't know a
>>  bit about TK.
>
>If you can give me this config file and tell me where to put it (I've
>never really looked at Idle) I'l gladly incorporate it.

Idle, on the mac, looks for a config file called config-mac.txt.
It stays in the idle folder.
I created one with the following content:

[EditorWindow]
font-name: mpw
font-size: 9

(in my case I use the MPW font, but I think that Geneva and others
would not create problems).
Then I drag Idle.py on the Python Interpreter app.
  The most interesting things are:
syntax coloring
tooltips when writing a function name (even if on the Mac you have to
click somewhere in order to go on using it)
Class browser and so on.

One more thing:
I noticed that the module PixMapWrapper supplied with 2.0b1 misses
one method that the version of PixMapWrapper bundled with Piddle has:
PixMapWrapper.grab().
Is there some reason why it cannot be supplied with 2.0?
I use that method and a simple cut and paste in the 2.0b1 version
seems to work (or at least in the way  I use it).

--
Riccardo Trocca
rtrocca@libero.it