[Pythonmac-SIG] Toxic Edit / Cocoa 'IDE'

Jonathan Wight JWight@bigfoot.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:18:40 -0500

For anyone who's interested there's a new version of 'ToxicEdit' (a very
basic Cocoa Python IDE). It's at <http://toxicsoftware.com/ToxicEdit/>.
Changes include: totally rewritten after an accident involving the 'cp'
command, gui tidy ups, errors from Python are now display (so you're not
coding blind), fixes a problem with Mac OS X shared library importing where
running this code twice would cause a crash: "import string; print
string.split('foo bar');".

That's about it. Oh and source code (such as it is) is available too.

On 04/02/2001 12:19, "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> wrote:

> BTW: There is a neat demo app in the Darwin CVS (although it's
> really a OSX app) called DropScript, which takes a script makes
> another app bundle that launches that script with whatever filenames
> are dropped on it. It works with python scripts.
>
> It still doesn't solve my bundle problem, because it's actually
> launched as a separate process with NSTask ( and stdout goes to
> the console window ), but the source code is definitely worth
> a read!

Hey Steve, you might want to use ToxicEdit to play about with Python on OSX
as you'd be running the Python scripts directly in the Cocoa process
(ToxicEdit doesn't fork - it currently uses PyRun_String() to execute the
Python scripts). It might help with the bundle problem?

    Jon.