[Python-Dev] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] __builtins__ a dictionary or a module?

Jonathan Wight JWight@bigfoot.com
Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:57:59 -0500

On 4/6/01 4:06 AM, "Tim Peters" <tim.one@home.com> wrote:

> Please read this the right way <wink>:  it's none of your business whether
> __builtins__ is a module or a dictionary.

OK, I can live with that. I was wondering why it was 'magically just
working' anyways.

> BTW, the primary reason __builtins__ is a module when bringing up a native
> command-line shell (I know that doesn't apply on a Mac Classic) is simply so
> that if a curious user types

> they get
>
>   <module '__builtin__' (built-in)>
>
> instead of a giant dict dump.  The primary use for making __builtins__ a dict
> is to support restricted execution modes.

Well I'd like to make my code (a Python IDE) treat __builtins__ as a module
so I'll look and see if there's a way of doing that. But it's not the end of
the world if I can't.

Thanks Tim providing the answers and Jack for investigating.

    Jon.